Friday, 17 January 2014

365 Days of Running - Take 2!

Week 1 & 2

 

 This is my second attempt at creating a blog to track my progress - the first decided it would delete every previous post as I wrote a new one which wasn't overly helpful! So lets try again....

Over Christmas my Dad was joking about the idea of running every day for a year. I laughed along with him but then started thinking - I wonder if I could actually do that? And even better, if I did it I could raise money? One week later and there I was, slightly hungover on New Year's Day but ready to embark on my first run of 365.

I have decided to raise money for Mary Steven's Hospice. This is an amazing local charity that provide care for people suffering from terminal illness. They make families feel welcome, and have touched the lives of several people that I know. In particular, they cared for one of my close friend's father at the end of his life, and made him and his family as comfortable as possible during such a sad time. My Dad also lost one of his friends at the start of 2014 - again he was cared for by the Hospice. I cannot think of a charity more deserving of some fundraising, and hopefully it wil go some way to saying a little 'thank you' for all they have done and continue to do.

So my mission - running every day for 365 days. Groundrules;

* It must be a mimimum of 20 minutes per day (around 2.2 miles for me)

* All runs must be recorded on my Garmin software and photographed

* If it snows or I suffer from illness, I may complete the run on a treadmill

At this point I am already 17 days in and thoroughly enjoying it so far. First few days were blissful, then the legs started to ache but I pushed through to complete a steady 6.7 miles on 7th Jan. Found the heavy legs beginning to ease by Saturday 11th and my speed improving to 8.5 minute miles! Unfortunately I was ill at the end of week 2 and have had some nasty, slow runs since which didn’t feel quite so rewarding but very glad to know I managed it and am feeling much better now!

It has been lovely to have friends wanting to come and join me – so far 4 people have joined me at various points to make the runs a little easier and I hope lots more will! I am performing in a pantomime from the 18th -25th Jan so will be interesting to see how and when I manage to fit the runs in around that and work! Already got a 3 miler planned for 6.30am on Monday 20th!

That’s all for now, please keep reading following and supporting.
Love,
Amy x

www.justgiving.com/Amy-Williams22

No comments:

Post a Comment